View Single Post
Old 2011.06.28, 12:35 PM   #34
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

1. Tengoku e Youkoso For the Disc - This is the definitive version of the song, and a great opener. Percussion fits the "discovery" aesthetic. 4/5
2. Zettaichi tai Soutaichi - Unexceptional, but I can't hold anything against it. 3/5
3. Atarashii Bunmei-kaika - A solid track (but, for me, the composition is superior to the arrangement). 4/5
4. Denki no Nai Toshi - One of the strongest tracks on the album, but a bit oddly placed for being Daihakken's version of Tegami/Yume no Ato. I might as well have listened to the album on shuffle. 4/5
5. Kaitei ni Sukuu Otoko - Yeah, I guess. I don't mind TJ slipping into straight J-rock, but straight rock is a bit jarring. 2/5
6. Kinjirareta Asobi - A pleasant surprise (seeing as how I can't disassociate the name from Rozen Maiden ). Love how the chorus rises from nothing, like Omatsuri Sawagi. 4/5
7. Dopamint! BPM103 - So much improved. (On my first listen I timed it at BPM207. Silly me ) 4/5
8. Osorubeki Otona-tachi - Easy listening. I think I like Shiina's English on this track more than any other (in her entire career, not just on Daihakken). 4/5
9. 21-seiki Uchuu no Kou - I should say that I have a softspot for Toumei Ningen...I don't necessarily think this is a good track, but I happen to like it (and these are the only two Kameda arrangements I care for). 3/5
10. Katsute wa Otoko to Onna - This may grow on me in the same way that Boutomin did, but for now... 2/5
11. Sora ga Natteiru - Didn't like it before, don't like it now. Just typical Kameda. 1/5
12. Kaze ni Ayakatte Yuke -- Very forgettable, being the shortest track on the album and caught between an A-side and B-side. 1/5
13. Onna no Ko wa Daredemo -- As someone who listened to this as a single before first hearing Sanmon Gossip two days ago, and now listening to it trying to close out an album...I'm a bit confused. I love Shiina singing showtunes, but this is Tokyo Jihen, not Shiina Ringo. 2/5
--
14. Tengoku e Youkoso For the Tube - As an extra track, I like it. If it's intended to end the album as a mirror to its more fittingly-arranged brother, then I hate it. The weakest ending track on a SR/TJ studio album -- even Metro worked well as a coda to Killer Tune. 2/5

I think I'll place it on the same level as Variety and Sports. There are some great individual tracks here, but it just doesn't have the balance or cohesion of either Variety or Sports.

EDIT: I just noticed, mr. Pillow... our reviews are scarily similar

Last edited by The Most Curious Thing : 2011.06.28 at 12:46 PM.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote