View Single Post
Old 2015.08.24, 06:45 PM   #19
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

As a side note, let me say that even though the forum could be improved in various ways, I hope most users appreciate, as I do, the differences between this place and other Facebook-y, Tumblr-y kinds of places. There are egos here, but it's not a contest over who can get the most "likes" or who can be the biggest prick on the boards.

There have been times when that has happened, and although the loss of those folks may have reduced our overall post count (by driving away not only those users but their friends----and enemies), I'd rather see the drama and identity politics ("I'm the biggest fan!" "I'm the biggest prick!" "No, I am!" etc.) kept to a minimum, than have a fireworks display that reduces everything down to 3-4 people's extremism.

And this is an ad-free, user-financed site. We don't work for Facebook or Tumblr. (And make no mistake, if you are on Facebook, you work for Facebook. I already work for them enough.)

So in exchange for a less-explosive, less-flashy environment, we get an oasis from click bait and targeted ads. I hope it stays that way.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote