View Single Post
Old 2014.11.09, 08:15 PM   #11
mrnarse

mrnarse puts considerable thought into their posts

My music is played mainly on my laptop through a pair of M-Audio BX5 studio speakers. I really need to get a better DAC for it. I mainly play FLACS in foobar2000, and recently ripped my whole CD collection in the program.

When using headphones, I use a pair of Sony MDR-V5s. Instead of my laptop's DAC, I connect to the headphone outputs on a Blue Yeti USB Microphone, which sounds a lot better.

For comparisons sake, all of the new songs on SUNNY sound brickwalled to shit through my speakers, but they sound pretty great through the headphone setup.

I also have a surround sound setup, a Harman Kardon AVR147 Receiver with 5 old Cambridge Soundworks surround speakers as satellites. I still need a subwoofer, as the old Cambridge one blew out a long time ago. My old backwards-compatible PS3 finally died on me a few months ago, and it sucks that the PS4 can't play CDs, or else I'd listen to music through the receiver more.

I'm tempted to get into turntables. I know nothing about them really, but we've got a vintage Lenco turntable in the garage. Right now though my main priority is upgrading the DAC for my laptop. Any suggestions?
mrnarse is offline   Reply With Quote