View Single Post
Old 2014.02.24, 07:47 PM   #56
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

^ I really wouldn't worry about not being able to interpret her lyrics fully, she, like Tori Amos and (the occasional) Ringo seems to have a writing style that is up to the interpretation more than being matter-of-fact. Well, give or take a few of the hard-biters on Mahou Ga/Zettai- these ones are usually the acoustic and voice only ones too. The more poppy ones all seem very vague when someone translates, and I think this is on purpose to just fuck with people- just like say, Cornflake Girl- look how many interpretations that song has.

A big problem I have with any translations of Japanese songs is how stiff everything sounds, I know it's not the translators fault but I guess the sense of flow is lost- for one, the rhyme and rhythm are gone. It's a reason I have a pet hate for fansubs in foreign films- sure, a lot of the time the translations in fansubs are more accurate/factual, but there's a reason for studio subs to be less accurate- if you're busy reading something that doesn't sound natural- you're gonna miss the tone of whatever they're saying. It's hard to express what I'm trying to get at and I'm blubbering off topic a fair bit now too.

I do appreciate your contributions/efforts though.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.02.24 at 08:00 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote