View Single Post
Old 2010.01.03, 09:55 PM   #37
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

^wrt that Phoenix album, seconded!!

Shiina Ringo - KSK

Will have to go with the obvious here. I remember slipping the disc in not really knowing what to expect because the cover art etc was such a drastic departure from SS, and I was completely FREAKED OUT by the opening to Shuukyou, and then completely blown away once she hit the chorus. I can't think of any reason NOT to include this - near flawless songwriting, and basically a really, really meticulous performance. I don't listen to this as much as I do, say, SG these days, but I guess that's cos I'm lazy, and it does take a bit of work to let KSK get under your skin.

Hamasaki Ayumi - Duty

I know the inclusion of any Ayu album by default means I lose any sort of street cred, but this is really a...magnificent album. I don't think her voice has ever sounded better, and really, Ayu's songs work best when she's experiencing an existential crisis and writing intimate sob stories. There is not a single bad song on this album (okay, maybe that throwaway introduction track) and some of the best songs she's ever recorded are here - Duty, SURREAL, End of the world, the vogue/far away/seasons trilogy.

Mew - Frengers

I had a bit of a shoegazing phase and somehow Mew came into the picture. While they aren't technically a hardcore shoegazing band, I think whatever you might call their sound, is pretty much an awesome sound. They basically summarise everything I like in good music - pretty melodies that rock hard nevertheless.

the brilliant green - Los angeles

I think someone covered this earlier in the thread but wow, listening to this album gets me all excited at the fact that they've recently signed to a new label (Warner). At the core of it all, tbg is a really romantic band, and it's nice to see that sort of romance presented in such a gritty, fuzzy, ballsy manner on this album. "I can hold your hand baby" = most underrated song, ever.

Broken Social Scene - Self-titled

I'm not sure when it started to become poseur/uncool to like them, but that's really tangential. I know some people will think "You forgot it in people" > everything else they've put out, but I really think some of their best melodies were written on this album. Basically, I just can't -not- put an album that has '7/4 shoreline', 'Swimmers' and 'Superconnected' on it on this list.

There are probably a lot more albums that I've listened to over the decade that I like, but none of them with such an irrational and crazy fervour as I do with the ones on this list. We should start a favourite SONGS of the decade thread, my list would be a lot more extensive then.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote