View Single Post
Old 2008.07.24, 03:17 AM   #2
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I'm quite a huge X-Files fan. I have every season on DVD. I'm looking forward to the movie, and I think if your expectance of the film is realistic you'll have a good time. With such a low budget, I never expected much more than an extended episode of the TV series. This is what fans want. But if they want to make enough to fund more it has to appeal to the masses. From what I've gathered, it works well as a standalone movie which is good.

I think it was a silly idea to keep the plot so secretive. From what I've read, it's standard X-Files fare with no mega revelation which is fine, but because it was kept a secret people expected something huge to be happening. I've read two reviews spinning it's secrecy into a negative due to a lack of pay-off. Heck, even Jay Leno when introducing Duchovny the other day said "Nobody knows anything about the plot because they have some big surprise or something". No, they don't. Literally this is the plot they kept a secret: An FBI agent has went missing so they enlist the help of a psychic priest to help find her.

My other problem with that is that it isn't that paranormal. Since it didn't follow the mythology, I didn't expect it to be about Aliens, but I expected something out of the ordinary. A killer like tooms, or a vicious monster attacking a town. Old school shit! Still, I'm happy to go back to the franchise and I'm sure I'll love it. I just hope enough people do to warrant another one. I always imagined Carter would want to create another standalone movie in 2010 and then do the big invasion movie in 2012, when the invasion is actually supposed to take place in the show. Since the movie is in real time (6 years after the show ended, and it's 6 years after in the movie) that would make sense.