Thread: 2012 in review
View Single Post
Old 2012.12.09, 06:04 PM   #21
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

2. The Shins- Port of Morrow- released March 20

The Shins’ fourth album came with a mixed reception upon first release. Critically, it was a success, but many fans thought that it was a departure in sound and quality from the “old” Shins sound. James Mercer is the only original “Shin” in the group now, but he was also the brains/founder of the The Shins anyway. I certainly don’t think this album is too far off of the original sound, and I love the new elements that are brought into play here.

As soon as you press “play” on the album, you’re greeted with one of the catchiest songs of the year “The Rifle’s Spiral”, with its bouncing bass line surrounded by swirling, gorgeous guitars and keys. James sounds as good as ever, albeit a bit more restrained. Lyrically, its one of the most memorable albums I’ve heard all year, Mercer once again playing with words like only Mercer can. The second track and leading single “Simple Song” is just gorgeous, simple, sweet and delivered perfectly. See the subtle touches of piano and the delicious chorus. The video clip that supports it is still burned in my memory, and really sets the stage for the recurring themes of family, maturing and redemption that Mercer seems to know like the back of his hand.

Further tracks in the album are just as powerful. The ballad “It’s Only Life” is really quite beautiful. Some may say the lyrics are cliché, but I feel that’s only because we as people are so familiar with what is being sung, and the delivery of the chorus is classic Shins. My personal favorite song on the album “No Way Down” channels into power pop territory (the U2 vibe is very evident) but still manages to sound like “The Shins”. And it wouldn’t be a Shins record without the gorgeous acoustic ballad song “September”. Finally it ends with “Port of Morrow”, the most unique and different sounding song on the album, with amazing instrumentation and smart lyrics, it’s a satisfying end to a satisfying album.

Few albums this year have excited and moved me like this album. It is still on heavy rotation in my playlist even though it was such an early entry in the year. I think it has some of the strongest songs ever released under the Shins name, amazing production and a sense of comfort (or perhaps maturity) that wasn’t present in previous releases. Being a fan for a long time now (I was into them just before the second album came around) I am delighted with it and I feel good giving it the silver medal this year. Just listen to it.

No Way Down