View Single Post
Old 2013.12.27, 06:48 AM   #23
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I'm impressed with the stylistic diversity of her music, but most songs I don't find particularly interesting. Her voice can also be pretty grating, most are her just wailing with a guitar. It's not that I don't like her, it's that I don't think her music stands on its own merits. She intentionally integrates her "character" into her music: to talk about one without the other is pointless (I think the same thing of Togawa and Shiina). And somebody who seems to sing such intensely personal songs basically requires some understanding of her lyrics, and I can't really find anything on her lyrics. But okay, here's my review of Mahou:
Kitty Blues - her voice is kind of annoying, but around the 2 minute mark, I like the change, the repeating structures really apply a sense of urgency or apprehension. And like many songs that I like it ends in a sort of crescendo.
Ongaku o suteyo - I don't like the uneven mixing. I like the way her voice drifts from like a downbeat almost-rap, to her signature impassioned singing. I like the backing track too, almost trip-hop combined with dream pop. Her voice can get a little too cutesy.
Shinjuku - I love this song, but I really dislike the arrangement. I much prefer the acoustic guitar-only version she performs live. The bells are okay, but when it starts getting electro-poppy I just think it doesn't fit the song right.
Handmade home - the guitar work is really impressive, and it's almost country-esque with her strumming. I like it, it's upbeat and seems more optimistic than her other songs.
Atashi tenshin - this song is really good. I actually like the moaning chorus, but the verses shine, the way the words roll right out is very Shiina-like. Is that some 'r' rolling as well And that guitar solo GAWD YES.
Natsu hate - is that still her voice? wow, she has some real vocal chameleon going on, like Togawa. The way her voice wavers when it gets to the upper register is just heartbreaking. I think the song is a great showcase for the strength of her voice.
Maguro gyosen - now, I don't understand the lyrics, but I can tell this is probably supposed to be a storytelling song. It certainly has that feeling and it's great because you can get the movement of the story from the way the music changes. But because I can't understand the story I find the song to kind of shallow.
Senaka no zipper - I'm beginning to see a sort of pattern with some of her songs. This one seems fairly generic to me, it fits into the "wailing with guitar" category.
Saishu koen - I really like this too, it's similar to Atashi tenshin with it's fast rolling verses and the bridge in the middle of the song is so beautiful, great guitar playing (almost Bonnie Pink-ish too).
I love you - yeah, another wailing with guitar song. There isn't much of a hook to it. But again, fantastic guitar bridge/solo
Kayokyoku - this one is different: a wailing with PIANO song! I'm joking, it's alright. But again, these slower songs just don't hook me.
Koenji - this song is way too long and bored the crap out of me. I like the electric guitar, I guess. I was zoning out within the first 3 minutes.
Himegoto - I like the whisper-like, haggard vocals and harmonizing. If it was longer I wouldn't like it, but it's the perfect length so it's enjoyable enough.
Maho ga tsukaenainara - this song is great. It's a wailing w/ guitar song, but has a strong hook. I love her voice in this, the strumming, how powerful the song is. And the perfect way to end the album.
Overall: an impressive diversity, it showcases her excellent vocal range and her guitar playing skills. Her more folk-sy songs that are just her and a guitar are rather listless, and I noticed that, for the most part, her better songs are the shorter ones. Barely any of the songs stick with me after I have listened to them, but the highs are so good I just want to listen to them again and again.
Favorite songs: Maho ga tsukaenainara, Atashi tenshin, Shinjuku
This is all after one listen, mind you. Though I have listened to the above three several times.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2013.12.27 at 07:59 AM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote