Thread: Utadah Hikaru!
View Single Post
Old 2009.03.15, 05:34 PM   #35
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

this is pretty stupid, I'm not going to argue back and forth back about the details. i'm sure you could pwn me in that aspect. I brought up the columbia aspect because it was embellished quite a bit. I know people who not only went to that school during that time period, but worked in admissions and knew what was going on. she enrolled andd then took a leave and they kept it up like she was a student there whenever she had an opportunity for english press, which looks bad in my eyes. and you can't find any overtly slutty lyrics in her new album because that is all completely subjective. what is slutty for each person? is ringo a slut for singing about being a prostitute? I don't consider her so because she is fulfulling a role to tell a story that has social and anthropological relevance, its more than just talking about not wearing panties and whoring in kabuki-cho. even in honnou, her most sexual song, the graphic parts are all double entrendreus and don't really mean physically penetrate or enter, they mean to spur and provoke her impulses and complexes. however, with utada's english work it just feels sleazy. there doesn't seem to be any kind of redeeming factor about why she is talking about these things. and when I hear dirty desire it just makes me feel gross, its like a total cringe moment. no one really wants to hear about utada's p***y and her deep cravings. And if she is going to write about it she might be a little bit more creative in doing so. You can call her writing playful and silly but it mostly just comes off as cheap and unpolished. it actually at times reminds me of "touch my body" by mariah carey, the way the lyrics go and the way certain parts don't make much sense except to fit in the total overal rhythm of the song.

either way I happen to like Utada and I am a fan of her Japanese work and more than anything I just think that its disappoint her English work, so far, has mostly been crap.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote