Thread: The Tori Thread
View Single Post
Old 2009.03.13, 04:27 PM   #6
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
I don't mean to be negative nancy but I can't say I'm too excited about this album. The cover and the title seem... self indulgent? The long track list, the "visualettes" that go with each track... I don't know, so far I just don't like this direction.
Isn't "self indulgent" what she gets probably since Little Earthquakes?
She's come up with the shortest tracklist since Strange Little Girls, Scarlet's Walk was 18 tracks, The Beekeeper 19 tracks and one "b-side", and ADP had 23 tracks on the standard edition and, I think 3 "b-sides".
The concept also seems much more loose this time, more like a theme really. Of course, maybe she's going to speak up more on that topic in some time, but so far no mention of anything comparable with The Beekeeper's gardens system (actually the concept and system were pretty amazing on paper, it just didn't have that much effect on the listening experience), where she was probably the most elaborate to date, or American Doll Posse's five archetypal Dolls came up. I understood it that she's just challenging the concept and definition of "sin" in today's world, which is pretty interesting in itself.
May 19 seems so far away though it's really not... I'm hoping to get my hands on the deluxe edition on the day of the release, and not listening to a leak before that.
merman is offline   Reply With Quote