View Single Post
Old 2014.11.17, 04:39 PM   #1
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer
Default Music Districts in Tokyo

So I was reading a Japan Times article trying to explain how the author would describe Seiko Oomori to outsiders/why to keep an eye on her- and he went into the fact that while she is outputting an idol sheen, there is no doubt she's a Koenji girl. Which got me reading into the Koenji district- indie-fueled, dirty basements, more extreme music scene than other places around Tokyo. (The main point of the article was about how difficult it is to subvert idol culture, but I've read it all before and was more interested in music districts ;-p)

I know Ringo's main early scene was brought up through Shibuya and Togawa's on the whole was a Shinjuku based styling. Does anyone know of other districts and major acts spawned from them. It's interesting to think that there is such a friendly rivalry between the districts and that each has it's own unique flavor- if on surface level to outsiders it is not noticeable straight away.

Any input or articles you can link me to on this? Or even on areas outside Tokyo. It's interesting to read on how location can change approach and sound to an artist.

Also interested in learning about the districts themselves. What are some of the legendary live clubs/spaces in them, what makes them unique from the others etc.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.11.17 at 05:15 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote