View Single Post
Old 2009.05.13, 10:38 AM   #716
ron2112

ron2112 has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Thanks for all your warm welcomes! Seems like this is going to be a fun place.

So yeah... I'm getting the impression that Variety is not much-loved among the fanbase, is that correct? That's okay, if I was a trend-follower I wouldn't be listening to TJ in the first place! Honestly my favorite varies as my mood shifts. If I'm in the mood for something jazzier, definitely Adult. Something more rough-edged, Education. Those three albums are so distinct, it's easy to pick the one I'm in the mood for at any moment.

I haven't heard enough Shiina solo stuff to judge it as a whole, but I get the impression from what I've heard that it tends to be more... what's the word I'm looking for... mainstream? Accessible? I'm not sure either of those are right. For the most part, my tastes run more towards progressive rock and what you might call "out there" music... Zappa is a big favorite, as are Yes, King Crimson, etc. So I get the sense that TJ leans closer to those directions than her solo work does. (They sound like a Japanese Mr. Bungle at times.) Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure.

Thanks for all the advice on the videos... complicated stuff, I guess. And thank you, Inaudible-Whisper, for giving my podcast a listen! I'm glad you found it enjoyable.

So I guess I have to ask... where should a person of my tastes start in regards to Shiina's solo work?

Ron Moses
ron2112 is offline   Reply With Quote