View Single Post
Old 2010.02.11, 11:51 PM   #57
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

I'm really surprised none of the haters are comparing it to variety, to me they sound so similar except that I like this one (since it sounds more coherent). But you know, if you don't like it for other reasons, thats cool....not buying that its generic though, call it unoriginal if you want but generic sounds like you didnt listen to the whole thing.

For me, If an artist is trying to challenge themself and has an artistic vision, then its all a matter of how it sounds to my ears. I dont care if its original (though I usually prefer it) or similar to something else or difficult or easy. If there is anything generic about this though its that its so diverse that its sooo ridiculously generic ringo (honestly I'm quite tired of it, but thats not to say I don't like it sometimes).

Lets explore this though instead of just about the same thing;
I dont know why anyone wants anything NEW from ringo, shes done basically everything that wouldnt isolate her from the mainstream completely (ringo doing noise rock....hmmm? could be good but its not exactly easy to imagine her going THAT far) and I think shes jumped styles more than just about any musician out there who isnt trying to make a statement by doing so. She hasn't really deeply explored too many of the genres shes dabbled in though other than maybe heisei. I wish that if she were to do another non-TJ album, it would either be an as-solo-as-possible-for-what-she-wants-to-make (assuming she cant play EVERY instrument in her songs) album with everything composed and wirtten by her and musicians who have less of their own style and just do exactly what she wants them to do it OR it would be something like a soil and pimp collab.....ideally in japanese. I really think that would tie her to a certain style for an album and thats something I would really want to hear from ringo. Any genre would be fine as long as she gave it her best with songwriting and vocal melodies.

With MOST bands and musicians, I think demanding something new makes sense because most of them tend to stick to one or two genres or at least stick to one an album. I don't think applying this request to Ringo makes much sense because her #of styles explored to # of songs ratio is so ridiculous.
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote