View Single Post
Old 2015.04.25, 08:11 PM   #733
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Okay, so.

I'm at least 17 months late to this bandwagon. I can neither say I'm the Lv. 1 Hipster who hopped on pre-Sennou nor the Lv. 2 Hipster who was on for Zettai Shoujo (which, hell, I haven't even listened to yet). It wasn't even the release of Sennou that did it. More just the fact that I've been binging on music in the month of April -- I'm far from the music enthusiast that the typical EMFer is and usually just indulge in whatever I feel like from time to time, which leads to me having eclectic and often offputting tastes that change wildly from spin to spin. But sometimes I hit the mark.

So this johnny-come-lately Seiko fan is taking a kid in the candy shop tour of her catalog, which seems bizarre now and will probably seem even more bizarre in hindsight. So far I've gone from the no holds barred anti-idol onslaught of Sennou (which is certainly my gateway drug even if I'm four months late), to the delightful lo-fi goodness of PINK, to a very refined pop rock sound in Tokarev (which I can -- maybe? -- see is a just a studio recording of an ensemble that's meant to be experienced live), to Mahou.

I'm always afraid to expound on what's obviously a monumental album because a) I'm not a music enthusiast and b) my track-to-track opinions will change on just the second spin (for both, cf. the Shiina-gasm thread I created when I joined the forum four years ago). It's not that I haven't digested Mahou yet, because...well, there isn't much to digest there, unlike Sennou -- Sennou being the rich cheesecake that is still sitting in my system 24 hours later; Mahou being the light watermelon slice that passed right through. Every track is stripped naked to its bare essence, even beyond what seems typical for an indie folk sound (or maybe it was naked to begin with? -- I can't answer that without having experienced her entire catalog from beginning to end). I listen to something like the duo of "I love you" and "Kayoukyoku" and my first thought is "if anybody but a half-dozen people in the world performed this I'd be bored to death." But in Seiko's hands that raw sound is powerful, powerful, powerful. Is this the magic of Seiko Oomori I'm finally experiencing? I don't know, but my first reaction to finishing a 50+ minute album usually isn't rewinding to the beginning.

Anyway, hot damn is it good to finally be on this wagon. I'm probably just going to stick to these four albums for the next few days and meter myself, but I reckon there's enough there for more than that.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote