View Single Post
Old 2013.01.16, 09:29 PM   #493
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
I think it much stems from "powerful" TV companies that produce cinema too. They seem to do it with the same people and gadgets with which they produce TV. Then again I'm not an expert but watching Nittere (channel 4) and then 20th century boy just gives me that impression. It's TV drama in a cinema.
Yeah this. They hire the same people who work on the TV show to produce the film adaptation, so you get a lot of television aesthetic in films. That's a minus.

A plus is that if a good manga/TV show gets adapted, it's got a compelling plot line that cuts through the cheapness, like Death Note or Amalfi. Paradoxically, some TV shows have a "cinematic" look because the techniques are so close, so you get shows that look expensive(ly cheap), like Ryomaden. And of course actors migrate between TV and film like nobody's business. Nakitani Miki and Iseya Yusuke tear it up in Shirasu Jiro in between features.

Think TV = film in Japan, and you'll never be disappointed. Hell, it's all the same on a 40" LCD.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote