View Single Post
Old 2009.12.21, 06:15 PM   #18
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
that side you hint at was so amazing awesome. the movie subtly hints at a biological basis for religion and god and translates it into a modern 21century concept, which was really quite cool. golem, you may think the na'vi designs suck, but have you seen any of the other wildlife from Pandora? I was blown away at the designs from half the monsters in the movie, they were incredible, and the level of detail he gave to their design (such as having the horse-like creatures breath through gil-like opening in their necks so their ant-eater like face can eat while they breathe) was really outstanding.

my problem with your argument golem is simply that to be believable james cameron had to to go alien but stay within what the human race knows. he had to take familiar concepts and juggle them around into something new and alien. all the wildlife/species on pandora fit together and they all are similar enough to our own biosphere but just different enough to be alien but allow for empathy, which is a large part of the movie.

I'm sorry, but you can't compare the message to "her eyes were as deep as the ocean" because the movie is a humanist parable, which are passed down in various forms in all cultures because it is important to share respect for *all life forms* in every single culture, and if teaching that to the next generation means creating movies about giant blue cat-humans, I think thats fucking rad.

everyone, including myself, thought the Na'vi design was stupid, up until they saw the movie. Seriously, I can't stress it enough. I'm not saying you will like/enjoy the movie, but I think it is pretty stupid to write something off without seeing it. James Cameron is a very smart man and everything works almost *solely* in terms of context, which is why the advertising campaign was limited (except for a massive last minute push) and the trailers leave much to be desired.

bash it as you like, I watched my father wipe away tears when the lights came on and I've seen that man cry only a handful of times in my life, and almost never during a movie. it has a powerful message and I think writing it all off based on initial impressions of creature design, presented largely out of context, is a shame.

I think you are mixing up my post with hedo's. I never said a single bad thing about avatar....
Or did you just wrote golem instead of Hedo by accident in your second paragraph?
Cause I liked the Design of everything on Pandora, the Na'vi included.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote