View Single Post
Old 2013.12.27, 03:35 PM   #29
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Most people have only heard Yoko Ono in the context of "John Lennons Wife".... Which is understandable. It's a shame though cause Yoko Ono has some damn good solo albums under her belt.

For some good tracks, I say check out Rising II or Death of Samantha (no link to album version)... these might change your mind just a little bit.

Also, I gotta do this for my sanity:
Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
Seiko Oomori's perfect fan is someone who likes edgy female singer-songwriters with some degree of image appeal, often shows dismissive attitude towards Japanese idol music, and loves the singer's voice enough to tolerate the minimalistic music. The singer's voice is essentially what's doing the trick. You have to love Seiko's voice to enjoy her howling.

So far, I'm neither a fan of her voice nor the music, which is mostly indie folk. And in my own twisted view of music, I add the adjective "boring" to anything labeled as folk. I like glamorous, sexy female singers with loads of melodic, fast-paced songs (Ringo, Amuro Namie, Suzuki Ami, Goto Maki etc).
-I think the ideal fan is a Shiina Ringo fan. Look at the current Oomori page on last.fm for example, 90% of the avatars there are Ringo avatars.
-It's not that hard/unbelievable to be dismissive of idol music- in fact, it is pretty much the standard as far as I know. The majority of that stuff (there are some decent groups/artists) is way more grating on the ears than this stuff...
-You say 'edgy female singer-songwriter' like it's a bad thing- yet you also mention Ringo in the same post. Ringo's most popular music is her young edgy music.
-I don't know what your idea of fast paced is, but Oomori isn't short of fast paced songs. You can have fast paced without drums you know.... Besides, we ain't talking thrash metal here.
-You like Mariko Goto. I find both artists (at times) extremely similar (just Oomori is more personal- I'd love to hear Mariko go to a deeper level like Mahou Ga goes- you know its possible, but I think she's happy with her sugar coating). Why you no like at least the Lai Lai Lai Team collab then? Also, m@u and Zettai Shoujo get along pretty damn good together tbh. I feel there is a stubbornness here :-p
-Indie folk is only the beginning. There is plenty more up her sleeve than that.
-You write Namie Amuro with no mention of Ayumi Hamasaki, who is infinitely better ;-p

Anyway, enough stanning. I sound like I did when I first joined EMF toward Ringo. I'll leave you to your Maki Goto, I'll listen to my Oomori albums :-p

@turtlefu: good to see that you finally listened to it. I say keep going with it (if you want to), I didn't like it all at first either but it's a major grower with time. What you put in, it gives back tenfold. The choice is yours. (Though giving up on it is like Luke giving up on Han when he was trapped in Carbonite in Jabba's Palace :-p)

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.12.27 at 04:57 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote