Thread: Ringo News 2015
View Single Post
Old 2016.03.20, 08:25 AM   #1761
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by BulletClub View Post
Well. Buzzfeed Japan has a "best Shiina/Jihen album poll":

http://www.buzzfeed.com/keijiroabe/s...oll#.ocdZEj3OJ
Really surprised to see MM ranked at the top. I thought SS was a shoe-in but maybe MM's considered more classic in Japan.

If anyone cares here's my personal album rankings:
1. KSK
I can listen to the entire album in one sitting every time. It can't be touched. Every time I listen to it I experience something new and hear things in a way I haven't before. I can't emphasize how much this album has STILL inspired me as a writer 6-7 years later.
2. SS
Honestly about half the album is skippable (Benkai, sometimes Gibs, Tsuki ni, Sakana, Byoushou) but the tracks that are good are REALLY good and the highs are much greater than the lows. The distorted noise also makes the album pretty punk rock - in a good way. And how could the album Honnou is on be any lower?
3. MM
Every song on this album is actually pretty solid and I only skip a couple tracks but it doesn't have the emotional weight of her sophomore effort and KSK. Morphine ain't no Izonshou or Souretsu.
4. SG
Very listenable album that has songs I can listen to over and over but it's pretty light on the rock. It's a solid pop album from start to finish though.
5. Sports
Admittedly this is ranked this high because I love Noudouteki Sanpunkan, Zettai Zetsumei, and Kimaru that much.
6. UM
Still a good album and a fun novelty but I don't listen to it as much these days. There are some real gems on here though.
7. Kyoiku
Probably the "best" Jihen album as far as songwriting goes but the instrumentation and production quality are pretty lackluster. Sounan still sounds good. I hardly ever listen to it since we have Dynamite Out.
8. Adult
Another album where half the songs are skippable to me. That Yukiguni to Kabuki lead-in is ear sex though.
9. Dai-Hakken
Pretty mediocre album if I'm being honest. I think I still only listen to about 4 tracks from it and I don't even remember their names except for Dopamint.
10. HF
The poor man's UM with Ringo covering herself instead of other artists. The novelty of orchestrated versions of KSK and SS era songs has kind of worn off at this point and the new tracks are ones I like but don't listen to as much now. My fiancee and I still say "shady nuke" on occasion to each other so that's something.
11. Self-Covers Album
A fun album but I've barely listened to it since I got it. I do love her version of that one Chiaki Kuriyama song though. It's like the Shun of the album.
12. Variety
Killer Tune alone is such a good song that it saves this from being placed last on the list.
13. Color Bars
I only like one song from this EP so I think that tells you everything you need to know.

Haven't listen to yet. SUNNY
I can't judge since I haven't really heard it. If it's anything like the EMF posters have been saying though I'm guessing it's not the triumphant return of SS-KSK era Ringo.