View Single Post
Old 2011.06.28, 01:37 AM   #16
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

yay, review thread!

I agree with the ADULT references. The variety of sounds here certainly bring to mind ADULT.

For me, this wasn't as instant love for me as SPORTS (I was literally shaking when I heard the opening bits of Ikiru), but this record certainly gets under your skin quickly. I also bet it would benefit from a higher quality rip (like ADULT certainly did, then, say, Kyouiku).

I really love Kaitei ni sukuu otoko; did Uki write that - made to be played live! Kinjirareta asobi was also awesome; I would say this one is most greatly reminiscent of the sort of sound and vibe that we have come to associate with Ringo and Jihen. New version of DOPAMINT! was really great initially (the verses are sex), I would have liked a little bit more punch in the choruses.

The one track I'm ambivalent towards is Katte wa otoko to onna - Those who hated Variety are gonna rip this one apart. This was really boring for me. But then I also thought Tasogare naki was boring and it's prolly one of my favourite songs written by Ringo.

Gonna go off to listen to it 23091321 more times now.

EDIT to include opinions on new Tengoku - I liked the re-arrangement, but I wouldn't say that I love it a lot more over the original. I especially disliked that the climax "Goodbye my sunshine, goodbye my darker days etc etc" was missing in this new mix. I cannot get over the flatness each time I listen to it. It's the one (glaring) flaw to an otherwise well produced track and it KILLS me. I also think this is what's preventing me from liking it more than SPORTS - Ikiru is probably my favourite opening track of all the Jihen albums so far.

EDIT again - Finally recalled what Kinjirareta asobi reminded me off (was killing me for the longest time) - Tokai no mana-!

Last edited by gekokujyo : 2011.06.28 at 04:15 AM.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote