View Single Post
Old 2007.06.25, 10:45 AM   #43
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Lately I've been more and more "disillusioned." What some people fail to understand is that not everyone hopped on bard cuz of Adult, or KZK. Some of us were won by SS (or even MM.) Now those who did, viewed her as a rock demi-godess. She was versatile. She could make rock tracks that weren't "rock" (the Mayonaka single, most of KZK.) Yet no matter how adventerous she became, we knew the bed-rock (shitty pun) was there. We knew she still had the fastballs to lean upon.

The writing to me was on the wall when there was anj interview with Jihen (and i cant remember if it was Jihen or phase 2; but i think it was the first incarnation) where i believe it was Kameda said "we want to make the best pop music out there." I got very put off by that word. It can be hit or miss, sometimes one year's pop is great, and others its razors in my ear. The fact they're Japanese and I largely have great distaste for 98% of jpop did not win me over. I was worried.

Then Dynamite Out heped me sleep easy, but it seems to be the exception and not the rule.

As harsh as it may sound, this is how I'm closer and closer to labeling Shiina: She was poised to be cemented in history as THE premier bastion of old rock and roll for this era -- but every time she came close to clinching it, she lost her nerve.

She was never more 'there' than Electric Mole. The Jihe announcement sorta put everything in question, but even then the potential was still there cuz the band was proven. The album disappointed, but they were killer live and the potential was trying to reach up again upon Dynamite...but since then, I think its been squashed.

I actually think phase 2 is limiting in potential international audience. I believe many are less willing to give it a shot. However, you play "Identity" or "Kuki" or "honnou" or even "Sounan" to an international audience, I think more people will be able to reson to it because they can "get it" regardless of language. They know whats trying to be done in the song, ad they can roll with it. "Osca?" I remain unconvinced.
also, many of the "shes hawt" crowd are on the Adult side of the fence.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2007.06.25 at 10:57 AM. Reason: bolding 4 point
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote