View Single Post
Old 2013.12.13, 06:07 PM   #44
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Special Mentions part 1.

I'm not sure how many parts there will be, but here's some other albums that I didn't mention for one reason or another:

The Dillinger Escape Plan- One Of Us Is The Killer

An initial winner, it still is a great hardcore album and still has a lot to love about it. I imagine it ending up on quite a few end of year lists. One of the easiest Dillinger albums to get into, this album delivers the hardcore goods while still being quite poppy, and the various Faith No More comparisons are definitely warranted. It does feel like Faith No More doing Hardcore at times. Worthy of a listen, but I just didn't listen to it for as long as other Dillinger albums, and that is why it isn't in my top 20

Perfume- Level 3

This album is pretty solid, I cannot deny it. It is also long. VERY FUCKING LONG. By about half way through, I feel exhausted. Time to switch to something else. Nakata's production seems to have slipped too, it doesn't exactly "WOW" me like GAME or Triangle, but it is at least better than the so-so JPN. "Enter the Sphere"- the intro track here is the most interesting thing on the entire album and I would have gladly accepted this as a 50 minute track and scrap the rest!

Chvrches- The Bones of What You Believe

OK, so I hyped this album up a lot when I heard it. Why didn't it end up in my top 20? Well, to put it bluntly, the album gets pretty old, pretty quick. I don't feel much of a desire to revisit it often. Sure, its got real pretty vocals, excellent electronic production, but it also somehow just doesn't attract me enough to go back to it.

A shallow reason maybe, but it's also on the radio constantly. Not some alternative stations either, it's mixed right between Katy Perry and ABBA. They even play The Mother We Share in supermarkets :-p Too much exposure killed it for me. (Ironic then, that I still like Of Monsters and Men :-p)

Hanae- Jyukkai Quiz

A last.fm user said it better than I could "Like Kyary Pamyu Pamyu if she was produced by Shiina Ringo" That comment is eerily close to the truth, 'nough said. Oh and the album cover digs right into some of my creepy fetishes...

Anyway, I'll think of more soon :-p