View Single Post
Old 2014.11.08, 04:25 PM   #4
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

As I'm writing this, I listening to Ima, losslessly ripped from my Toutaikai Heisei Nijuu Go Nen Kamiyama Chou Taikai blu-ray, playing on my PC in foobar2000 with Rate Adjustment of -4.85% (to make it a little slower and lower-pitched) and with ReplayGain, being outputted from an external soundcard to a pair of studio monitors I've owned since 2005 (Mackie HR824 - one of the few models you can get away with using for recreational listening), and each speaker is roughly a meter away from my face while the brightness on my 32" screen (also a meter away) is dimmed to the minimum and I'm leaning back in a semi-premium office chair with some extra cushioning. Sometimes I turn the screen off for a song or two, but I'm generally too much of an internet addict these days to do that for whole albums.

I was more into headphone-listening when my Sony MDR-7509's still worked, and when I didn't have a place where I could use my HR824's without bothering other people. So after both of those circumstances changed, I've barely used headphones at home anymore. My replacement headphones (ATH-M50) aren't bad, but I don't exactly have religious experiences with them, either.

My speakers are definitely better for concerts than any headphones I've ever owned. But there are some songs like Stoicism, where you simply have to listen to the studio versions on headphones at least once in awhile.