View Single Post
Old 2008.04.08, 02:25 AM   #32
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
I usually don't like groups of elitist people and/or forums.
And I'm still here. I guess this tells a lot.

But on an elitist tone, I remember when I was quite active at Utada-Online forums, you could count with your fingers the number of decent posts. And you needed to have a super-computer to count every single post that *only* said "Hikki rocks!" "Hikki is the best" "Hikki-sama, yet again you outsold every other artist. You're the best!".
Do we really need that kind of posts?

I like this community how it is, and if someone's not "strong" enough to be here, it's not like we're missing a great deal.
(but seriously, does anyone need to be strong to be here anyway?)
I mostly agree with that. It's why I don't spend time at other fan communities. It isn't that there's nothing to say, but that for other artists, more often the fans tend to say the same things.

I've been reluctant to give reviews, not because I'm afraid of my opinions being challenged, but because I don't have a consistent perspective of each song. What I think of a song when I first hear it, versus what I think of it in a year, can often be quite different, as you start to get a sense of which songs are overplayable, and which ones take more time to absorb. Then to make reviews even more obsolete, a new version of an old song could refresh the way you think of the old version.

These are concerns I've had for years, that I suspect a lot of other people have felt, but haven't consciously thought about. This could be a more influential posting factor than whether or not your opinion is the same as someone else's. I think we can escape this if we embrace the reality that our opinion could change, rather than fear the implications of having already said something that's no longer 'true'. We should get comfortable with the idea of reviewing the same thing more than once, since, after all, "haters" already attack the same thing more than once anyhow. You could have a hasty post of "This is what I think of the album upon my first listening". Then you revisit it in a year, whether or not it is established to hate all over that product, and you say "This is what I think now, versus what I thought back then". You could even revisit more than once, since a small handful of songs may even take multiple years to absorb.

That seems to be a more realistic goal than "I'm going to wait until I can post my super-thought-out review, once and for all". If we have realistic goals, then we can actually follow through on them, rather than procrastinate. I'm not placing myself on a pedestal here, and pretending I haven't been extremely guilty about it myself, ever since this community started. Most of the review threads are lonely, because people spend so much time arguing in a small handful of them. I'm not seeing a lot of song-by-song reviews in EMF - something that people were making a common effort to post in the later days of RJ, so I'm going to practice what I preach, and hopefully set an example here.