View Single Post
Old 2013.12.10, 03:17 PM   #33
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

3. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds- Push The Sky Away

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds have been one of my favourite bands for many, many years now, and I always get excited when they bring out a new release. However, what I didn't expect was an album as great as this one. Superior to many albums of recent, it's their best since No More Shall We Part, and that's saying A LOT.

After the loud cacophony of Abattoir Blues and the Grinderman project, the Bad Seeds bring us this subdued, beautiful, intricate and sublime release. Despite its calm, it is also one of the most menacing releases Cave has put out to date, and close listening will bring out how disturbing some of these brilliant tracks actually are (song of gang rape and prostitution for example).

What I love the most about the album is that there always seems to be a sense of unrest, even in its most lulled moments. This brings a sense of suspense and makes the album utterly compelling to listen to. Infact, only a couple of times does the album ever get much louder than a low rumble, and when it does, it is truly something else.

Has anyone else had such a long career and can still deliver the goods like this as Nick Cave? Great stuff, and an album I love on a deeper, personal level. Seeing these songs played live at the start of the tour was a privilege too.

Anyway, my favourite track, a good example of that subdued unrest I'm talking about:
Water's Edge