Thread: The TV Thread
View Single Post
Old 2012.11.05, 03:44 PM   #283
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post
Yeah, Iron Chef was awesome but there's noooo way they did all of those dishes on the fly. Forget being Iron Chefs, they'd be God Chefs.

I actually really enjoy Food Network, especially when I'm having dinner. I mostly watch $24 in 24, Food Network Challenge, and Chopped. Chopped is a great show. Did you see the recent one where they had the teenagers go head to head? There was a 13 year-old girl there who already had her own food blog and everything. Pretty crazy stuff.
I think the point of Iron Chef isn't to be instantly inventive but to show finesse under pressure. They don't have to dream up dishes on the fly, but in the 1-hour timeslot (which I do believe is legit) they have to execute their dishes perfectly. The production values are awesome and the judges are fun.

My fiancee worked a bit on Iron Chef Vietnam, and they are in awe of the way the Japanese and Americans pull off the show. The "Alton" of the Vietnam version is this buffoon who knows nothing about food, and the narration is horrendous. Just lacking that one element brings down the whole show.

I missed that teenage episode of Chopped, but with so many reruns I should catch up with it eventually. They are doing "unsung heroes" now which is pretty cool, seeing all these non-restaurant chefs kicking ass in the kitchen.

The guy on $24 in 24 is a little annoying....maybe he'll grow on me, like the guy on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives.

And speaking of DDD, I love that show for the way they edit the cooks slapping together their meals. The ingredients always get THROWN in the big mixing bowls rapid-fire, like the cooks are just flinging everything together without measuring anything. They always look like they're having the time of their lives and it makes you want to open up a little restaurant, or at least see what's in the kitchen and whip up some marinade or steak rub.

God I'm getting hungry......
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote