View Single Post
Old 2014.05.22, 04:50 PM   #57
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I looked at this again. Never did a full-on review, but this time I think I know what to say about it.

Baishou Xstasy II: No Guitars Allowed Redux....is way better than the original. And Ringo seemed much more genuine, even in her Coco Chanel red-carpet I-don't-give-a-fuck promenade outfit.

I think this is the first time I've seen one of her shows where the audience is just about absent---yes, they are there applauding, but no, we can't see them. I like that, and I thanked heaven for it when Ringo whipped out her flag for "New Way to Fly" and tried to get a crowd-wave going. They were probably waving, and I was grateful to be spared the imagery.

Starting with Iroha ni, I love it. Before that, she kept her voice pretty much on the same high-pitched, lilting tone that frankly was putting me to sleep. Like with Baishou Xstasy I, this is a show where, if I sat in the front row center, at the end of it my ears would not be ringing. They'd be a bit buzzed, pleasantly so, but they'd recover by the time I stepped out of the lobby.

But once she gets going, she starts to modulate her tones a little wider, and she flexes some more muscles on the stage, and it's a just a great Shiina Ringo show. Hardly a sign of Jihen influence or legacy. In a way, that makes me sad. It's like she's saying she's so done with Jihen that it could almost be seen as wasted time. (Unless there are legal issues keeping her from doing Jihen songs herself.)
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote