View Single Post
Old 2011.04.12, 02:23 PM   #857
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

I'm not sure who I'd know who would like Variety even if I didn't hate it myself. Metro has a quirky rare-groove cool about it that might appeal, but that's about it. Kaban no Nakami people might really like if that was on the album.

Honestly, Variety sounds very populist light rock which is the kind of music many people really hate - google various message boards for threads on "least favourite song" and count the number of people who hate songs like Come on Eileen (I know I do). Then it's marinated late 90s J-pop and dated 70s style sounds, which would make it a total no-go (probably).

But if you're a fan, or particularly if you want to write about why you like it, more power to you. Seriously. (I personally don't care about post-Adult Jihen anyway.)

In my particular case you are right, style matters and that's why I like "this" musician and not "Band X". Experimentalism is good but not the whole story - what's so experimental or edgy about say, Aozora...? But I like Aozora. And in every other case where a musician I liked formed a new band or collaborated with other musicians, I looked forward to it. Noone would expect anything that sounds like a raspberry in the direction of the music that made you a fan before.

Look at the music on UM, or the music Ringo was reported as listening to during that one-note rock album Kyoiku. She liked some really good, diverse songs with an ear for an infectious tune. Even if you knew she wasn't writing for the album you could not have anticipated the Variety (or Sports) sound from those. So really neo-Jihen comes out of a very clear blue sky. Those "old" Radiohead fans who hate on albums post Kid A (who seem a lot angrier than most of EMF) don't know they're born in comparison!

That post doesn't scan well, I'm tired.

Last edited by so_cold : 2011.04.12 at 11:38 PM.
so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote