View Single Post
Old 2018.05.03, 07:44 PM   #35
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

OK, my official verdict based on the samples:

Tsumi to Batsu by AI - Lacks the raw emotion of the original - largely because Ringo's vocals were excellent even for her - but not a bad interpretation of the material.

Carnation by Inoue Yosui - Not great. The original is a lullaby or the soundtrack to a magical fantasy, but the vocals on the cover are just pedestrian, instead of filled with the sense of wonder that Ringo delivered. Either stick to the source, or do something totally different with it - don't just half-ass it.

Koko de Kiss Shite by Kimura Kaela - Pretty much the same as the original. Not bad but doesn't add anything either.

Tsugou no Ii Karada by Tajima Takao - Too normal. Ringo gave this a sense of frenetic energy while the cover is just bland. I've always interpreted the original as a number in a Broadway-type musical, and Ringo's vocals escalate with each successive verse, as an homage to that theatrical type of acting you don't see much anymore. This is just...less than that.

Sid to Hakuchuumu by MIKA - I know it's crazy, but I actually like this one. Although I'm not sure what language it's in - doesn't sound Japanese. French maybe? But not good French. Nonetheless, the cover actually went bossa nova, and I love it! Although if Ringo had done a bossa nova version it probably would have been better.

Honnou by RHYMESTER - KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!

Koufukuron by Rekishi - Too much vocal doubling, but not terrible. At least it sounds fresh. Still not as good as the demo though!

Tadashii Machi - Also not bad. Doesn't add much vs. the original, but sounds more modern at least.

(I'll do the rest in a bit. Dinner time!)

Last edited by zeroryouko : 2018.05.03 at 07:53 PM.
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote