View Single Post
Old 2010.02.19, 11:48 PM   #151
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I kind of read over that interview a bit and it reminded me about the fact that this entire phase has a concept much like any other does. I can't help but feel that the dislike for the style of music has a bit to do with what they band was actually going for. They were striving for a thrilling and active style of music which incorporated your entire body. So pop music makes sense. It might sound new or strange for Jihen to release an album that might come from your typical jpop artist, but the entire concept was to incorporate your entire self into the music, all your experiences in daily live, physically and sonically, into the music. So groove, funk, jazz, rnb, soul, etc etc, it makes sense to all be incorporated somehow (it appeals to your body). At one point they talk about Ringo's vocals and she mentions how in the same manner that the band members use both hands while playing an instrument, she placed a lot of focus on her body and how she used it and her voice while making this album, and that for her is what the concept behind Sports is about. Its too bad there isn't more translated interviews about the album's concept floating around because I think its really enlightening as far as the creative choices they made.

Izawa was impressed in particular with Ringo's vocal take on Noriki. Izawa mentions that he was both impressed with Izawa's piano on Season Sayonara and with his keys on FOUL.

also, the end is kind of interesting because they talk about how more than ever this album represents connecting a listener physically and in spirit with the music, its a total body experience, and in that way its almost anti-consumption (in terms of being played on radio and casually consumed by a mass audience). the interview ends with all three members pretty much saying they have never understood people who consume music (ringo says she hates it) and they pretty much agree that they don't understand people who purchase music for its popularity or nostalgia factor, but rather music they treasure and that stands up against the test of time, something they would want to own 20 years from now etc. kind of interesting message considering recent things said about Jihen, I think (and also interesting considering the way some of use consume and listen to their music...)
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote