View Single Post
Old 2009.08.27, 11:10 PM   #4
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
the only personal use discs I've burnt are installers for Windows XP and MS Office.
Depending upon your computer, you may unfortunately have to burn Windows install discs even when you have official discs and legitimate licenses, so that you can have certain drivers slip-streamed into the install disc for Windows to be able to recognize your hard drive(s). Some motherboards will let you install Windows off of a USB stick.

I have installed Microsoft Office dozens of times without discs - either off of USB stick, or from loading the installers from across a local network. I don't think I have ever in my life burnt myself a disc for any major application I've downloaded (things you install after you have a working OS).

Even when I legitimately own the software, I still would rather use virtual CDs instead of my physical originals, because a full install off of a virtual CD can take 20 seconds instead of 150 seconds, and that's if you're reading off of a virtual CD on the same hard drive you're installing to. It's 10 seconds if you're reading the virtual CD off of one hard drive and writing to another. I also never re-insert my physical originals whenever one of my PC games demands it, but I don't believe in cracking my games either, so virtual CDs solve that problem.

Someday I won't have to physically grab any of my DVD movies either (the ones I actually own). After all, an $80 drive can hold over 100 full-quality (non-'shrunken') DVD movies with all the menus and audio/subtitle options and everything, and this will only get cheaper.