View Single Post
Old 2009.12.21, 03:54 AM   #12
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe View Post
i haven't seen avatar, but from seeing the trailer in the theater, i thought it was going to be lame because the blue people seemed completely uninspired and the story somehow seemed familiar in a way i didn't bother looking into. i ran across this article and they have another problem i would have never thought of. i don't care for the whole race thing, but it showed me another way the story seemed uninspired and it's that it's kind of already been told before.
The world of Pandora and it's inhabitants are one of the most inspired, imaginative things you could see on screen. It is just gorgeous. And everything is designed to work with the environment; it all makes sense. Even if Cameron doesn't have time in the movie to explain why everything is huge, he'll explain in an interview that it's due to the low gravity. That the Direhorse breathes through it's neck because it has a large ant-eater like snout so it can breathe while it eats. He has really thought it all through (creating an entire language in the process, with some help from a friend). He has an encyclopedia of Pandora written called Pandorapedia which he plans to release as a book.

The story has been told before. It isn't wholly original, nor surprising as I've said. But it's setting is totally original, and the story serves it's purpose; to show the world of Pandora and introduce a reason for fighting and the Na'vi in a way which works as a tutorial for us as well as any character in the movie. The story doesn't necessarily raise the film up, but it doesn't damage it either unless you're going in expecting something more (which nobody should at this point). Seriously, you can't not see this movie on the big screen in 3D. You'll totally regret it later.