View Single Post
Old 2009.07.20, 02:05 PM   #37
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Setlist in Dusseldorf had some slow songs in it... like Waltz for Goddess and Wheel Within a Wheel. They also played AIE, Summer Goddess, Fantastic Planet, Quiet Fire (J.A.M), JDF *i think*, Suffocation *YESSSSS!* I remember reading the set list printed out and stuck to the stage floor (yes we were that close) and thinking, wow this set list sure is short; h/w, they did a whole bunch of improvisation in there so every 3 minute song basically became 6-8 minutes in the live. Moto was really giving it his all with the solos, he played most of them and for maybe 2-3 minutes everytime until he got super sweaty and out of breath that he can to take some oxygen. Tabu Zombie seemed a little more distant in the Dusseldorf gig he kept standing at the back of the stage and not really doing anything at all. Must have been bored or something.

At the jazz festival in Rotterdam they played ALL their high energy fast songs, no slow stuff at all, which is why I am glad I went to their Dusseldorf gig as well so I could really hear them play some delicate music. Plus we were soooooo close to the performers I could actually see Moto's underwear.

The crowd in Rotterdam was quite different from that in Dusseldorf of course. At Rotterdam it was a jazz festival and from talking to one of the locals I heard that the Japanese jazz bands (Quasimode, Kyoto Jazz Massive, SAPS) had pretty good publicity so many people were excited to see what they had to offer. The stage was also really cool, medium sized and all standing room, and by the middle of the concert most people at the front half of the hall were realllly into the music. The standing room was good cuz it made the crowd more fluid; some people didn't like the music and left after 2 songs, which just made it all the better for me to ninja my way to the front. But most of the people in Rotterdam seemed to know what they were getting into.

Quite a different story in Dusseldorf though. golem09 tells me that Dusseldorf has the biggest Japanese population in Germany, and for sure a lot of Japanese people showed up, obviously knowing what to expect. However, a bunch of older people showed up as well and they looked like they had completely no idea of what they were going to see in the next 2 hours. The worst thing was that, they were sitting next to golem09 and I in the front row, and obviously they weren't willing to give up the awesomemest seats in the house, so I think that kindaaa killed the energy a little. BUT, there was this guy who seemed to be on *something*, cuz he was doing rave dance moves to SAPS songs.

It was a brilliant performance really. It suddenly makes you think why the PIMP is even there in the first place. On recordings in MVs he doesn't really seem to do anything, but in live performances, he is DA MAN. He basically plays the audience, gets them excited, makes them anticipate stuff, make them sing stuff... he's like the spiritual leader of the band. Quite amazing really. I would really LOOOOVE to see them again!!