View Single Post
Old 2015.01.02, 11:27 AM   #184
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Well, think of it this way.

Ima, like Shun, seems to have attempted to serve as the anchor point in the center of the album (hell, they both even have 1 character track names). They both are gentle jazzy songs that are quite beautiful. However, Ima comes up short because it's ruined by it's ridiculous production- it never hits quite the same as Shun. The album never really stops for it. The live version from Toutakai has so much promise too. Oh well.

JL005 has those big romantic strings and similar song structure to me, minus the payoff in the form of that gorgeous piano solo. I mention Reimport because it has that electronic beat at the start, much like Seishun no Matataki- another song I've always compared to Shun, though that one is more blatantly obvious :-p
I think your reasoning is pretty superficial as well. You can simplify many songs like that to say they are like others. That doesn't address real similarities like melody, rhythm, timing, etc. For example, using the methodology from your post, we could take away from Ariamaru Tomi because it's just a solo version of Rakujitsu. Or that Keshou Naoshi is the same thing as Aozora because they're both slow bossa nova songs. It doesn't quite work because the substance below the surface is quite different.

Ima and JL005 are both songs that sound like they were written by SS Ringo, but performed by HF Ringo. There's quite a bit of grit in the second half of Ima that completely separates it from the SG/Shun sound/atmosphere, but makes it sound right at home with something like Sakuran or Karisome Otome. It actually feels more like a big band version of Nippon ni Umarete to me with the way the tempo/rhythm changes throughout the song. I think it's quite well done, but Ringo's voice doesn't quite hold up here or some other Sunny tracks.

I'm not sure why the electronics say "Reimport" rather than SS to you. Well, I guess you have compared Reimport and SS before so maybe you hear both in it. That beat reminds me very much of the end of Gips or even the one used throughout Hatsukoi Shoujo. The thing most similar to Reimport is the horrendous mastering.

Ah well. To each their own. This is probably the most thought anybody's made me put into Sunny though. You're picking on two of the strongest tracks on the record, but I feel similar disappointment about some of the other new tracks.

tl;dr: Ima is more like an HF song than Shun or an SG song.