View Single Post
Old 2016.02.06, 09:07 AM   #27
K__

K__ has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
Aside from the obvious "Karisome Otome" comparison, melodically, "Gare wa Kuchinashi" also reminds me of "Kodomo no Joukei". I don't know if this is a song that will grow on me, but I have to give it props for sounding so completely different than anything I've ever heard before. The rhythm is intense (not just in terms of the "stabs", but also the meter), and the abrupt alterations between the tango parts and the lullaby-ish parts are very daring and inventive. In that aspect, it is akin to the live version of "Anya no Shinjuutate" with its jarring/abrupt horn interludes.

You've articulated it wonderfully. I can't contribute much more to this aside from the fact that I adore the chord progression in the little piano section at the start that gets reprised with a violin about a halfway in. The rest of it is very tango/latin jazz tinged but those bits are very soul/gospel for Ringo. Obviously not at the tempo they're played but I could easily see that kind of thing being sampled in a hip hop track. (In fact, I might just have to.)

Not much else to say about Usurai Shinju. Hayashibara's delivery has grown on me a tiny bit for the "sexy" factor since she's practically whispering it into the microphone but it still doesn't really do much for me, and while I've always appreciated Ringo's forays into jazz, it's still way too big band swing jazz for my tastes. I'd love to hear her take a shot at something a bit more bebop.
K__ is offline   Reply With Quote