View Single Post
Old 2016.04.08, 05:28 AM   #9
zee

zee pleased at least somebody

I've been thinking about this topic for a couple of days. I had this experience with Seishun no Matataki and the hyakki yagou concert last year. I came to love the song which I previously thought was a bit maa-maa. The instruments finally matched the emotion she is trying to portray in the the studio version. I've always loved this kind of song like Yume no Ato, Rakujitsu, Shun, etc too so I finally realised this song fits into that group.

I'm having a hard time thinking of other examples though, probably because I watched so much live music before listening to the studio versions - I did it backwards. (I'm a bit late to the Shiina party, only 5 years a fan). When you don't understand the lyrics, watching the live version is a great way to understand the mood of the song, by body language and other visual cues.

Overall this is one point that I definitely love about Shiina's work, she's never afraid to change, evolve, or just plain fix a song that perhaps wasn't so good the first time. Or she just got bored of the original arrangement Sometimes it doesn't work (himitsu/dynamite out) but mostly it does
zee is offline   Reply With Quote