View Single Post
Old 2011.07.05, 12:08 PM   #112
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I don't know about EMI, but for Oricon, if something has more than 4 original songs, they put it in the album chart. However, for each company, their definition of a single may be different. For avex, with the pop group EXILE, they released a "double maxi single" which had some brand new songs and some new versions of old songs (for a total of 8), which was counted as an album by Oricon but is somehow considered a single by avex.

So I do think it being a 3CD single box set makes it count as 3 singles.

I recently purchased a single box set for a Japanese box set, and came with 7 singles each in its own case. Therefore, each is considered a "single" instead of the whole package as an "album".

The second disc may change things, but the fact is "live albums" require the absolute minimal amount of effort on part of an artist.

Besides THAT, I still don't like the songs on the actual singles.
One band released a single with so many songs it charted as an album. QED ZCS counts as three separate singles? WHAT. If you can bring up sales or charts numbers on the Glykogen disc specifically, in comparison to the other 2 ZCS discs, I will give you ten dollars.

As for "live albums require minimal effort" -- they still have to perform the songs! And they don't get the luxury of "tracking it" unless they record another show as well. If an artist puts out a great live album, then it's a bigger testament to their musicianship than a studio-wonder like KZK much of the time. Yeah, Haitsuiku Status isn't the easiest listen, but at least one of those songs is bound to strike your fancy. If nothjing else, it shows Shiina experimenting with a live act, which is far more than you can say for anything post-2005. Besides Status, Yattsuke Shigoto, Gamble, and the Onaji Yoru performance all live and all fantastic performances and recordings. With the second disc: gold.

Writing it off for being mostly live recordings -- all brand new or recent material with one exception --because that's somehow easier than going in the studio is ridiculous. I think you may have just read about ZCS and wrote it off before even listening to it. There are certainly no 9 better songs on Variety (please don't list, I don't care if you really think Kronekodow or Mirrorball or Ramp are better than the worst Haitsuiku Status song on that disc.)