View Single Post
Old 2007.08.01, 04:19 PM   #36
redstuff

redstuff pleased at least somebody

I already loved the few Youtube clips of this I saw, but when I finally sat down and watched the DVD in its entirity a few days ago I was blown away. It's by far the BEST live performance she's done (granted, I've only seeen Gekokujo and Just Can't Help it besides this, but I can't imagine anything else being better anyway). Shit, it just might be behind SS for me when talking about her stuff in general.

It's especially good in that it actually makes Kyoiku's songs sound really awesome, like people have said. I never liked Kyoiku that much - the very first time I listened to it, in fact, I thought it was utter torture because of the poor production/recording. And while I don't hate it now or anything, it's still pretty near the bottom of the list for me when it comes to SR related stuff. But here, the Kyoiku material - along with everything else - is just wow. Songs like Bokoku Joushou which sound really annoying on the album are given incredible performances. Even classic Shiina stuff that you've heard a million times before is given new life here - not because of any brilliant rearrangements or anything, but because they just rock so hard. I like the Marunouchi performance in particular; it's fun to watch since the band is obviously enjoying themselves so much. In fact, it's like that for most of the DVD. You can tell the members are really into it, and it beats the shit out of anything from JCHI, which seems so lifeless in comparison.

I assume songs like Kurumayasan and Koi no Urikomi are covers from the B-sides as I haven't heard them before (don't own any of the Kyoiku singles). But again - awesome. Shiina should totally have more songs with the pianica.
redstuff is offline   Reply With Quote