View Single Post
Old 2007.09.24, 02:50 PM   #29
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 View Post
I don't really have time for a full review right now, but I'm on a whole pretty dissappointed with this album. There are some good ideas here, but Shiina's input would've completely salvaged this album.
I have not heard the album yet, but from hearing the previews I definitely agree with this. They sounded very interesting and I'm just assuming based on my own preconceptions and other's opinions that it would have been way better if she worked more on the songs. From everyone's descriptions of the songs, it seems like Uki and Izawa were trying to repeat some of what we saw in ADULT with less repeating choruses or just less emphasis on choruses. But, as cjhobbies said, Ringo would have made the album great. Now, from those who liked the album and my personal tastes, I think I will like this album a lot, but I'm pretty sure I won't like it as much as ADULT or Kyouiku. Also, a few people seemed to have confirmed my worst fear that OSCA and Killer Tune would be the best songs on the album. I loved both of those songs, but I will be slightly disappointed if I don't like anything on the album just as much or more than those two songs since I have already heard them so many times.

Originally Posted by madpawn View Post
The shifts in Ringo's vocal style are what alarm me the most. I find sometimes the song is sometimes brought down a bit by her singing. What I love about her vocals are when they get ugly. That's what keeps me coming back. I love her raggedness in HF's Gamble, her growls in OSCA, anytime she gets shrill and weasely—it's delightful. Which is why I think Killer Tune is certainly her best vocal performance on the album. You know how a sadistic Ike Turner wrote songs for Tina that were consistently just above her comfortable vocal range? It's kind of like that. Ringo is straining to get those notes, squealing almost, and it's just painful enough to make what would just be a catchy, bit-too-pretty ballad-in-the-rain into something interesting—desperate, almost, and filled with tangible, piercing emotion. The uglier the better.
That is what I loved about HF and OSCA too!! I think it also works perfectly in killer tune as well. I don't know why Jihad says they are horrendous because they are annoying to him. You could just say they are annoying to you.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I think this is a pseudo-intellectual wannabe pop album with no melodies per se or even “hooks” necessarily. It’s a shame Jihen seems to pretend they make more than “just fuckin’ music.” Shiina solo used to carry herself off like she was just making songs, and hopefully trying to make some good ones here and there. But now it’s like “oh, lets pretend we can raise IQs by music” or lets make pop classy! Or whatever – but of course, whats worse is when people actually buy into it. It should just be fuckin music, you cant go out actively trying to do anything intra-personal with it. If its good enough, it will have a mind of it’s own.
Do you feel the same way about Bjork? She makes some of the craziest music I've heard and it's rarely catchy and its not "just fuckin' music". I still think its great regardless.

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2007.09.24 at 02:56 PM.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote