View Single Post
Old 2013.05.30, 08:55 PM   #25
chii

chii is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Superficial Fan View Post
The beginning of "Kodoku no Akatsuki" reminds me of Boz Scaggs's "We're All Alone"!* Now I'm not saying the song sounds anything like that overall, but I keep thinking of that song in the opening part (and when it repeats). Overall, it seems like a pretty Jihenish song and I'm still on the fence about it. One thing that strikes me and bothers me a bit in most of her newer material is that it doesn't have the organic feel of much of her earlier work (up to Adult--maybe even including Sanmon Gossip though I'd have to think about that since I'm not a big fan of it and almost never listen to it). It seems more openly a matter of muso pastiche: now we're going to do that, now we're going to do this, and here's a slightly fancy key change, or something like that. A case can certainly be made for an aesthetic that actually shows you where things are joined together and maybe even makes that stand out, but I can't help preferring the more organic sound and feel that I think existed in her earlier work. It was more a matter of "wow, it feels so natural, maybe inevitable, the way the song has moved through these changes, even though they weren't obvious."

Irohanihoheto continues to grow on me, and I think the PV has helped. It still feels a bit too much like I am admiring her skillfulness but not really being all that moved by it. As I've said elsewhere, I also kind of get the sense that she can knock off a song like this fairly easily, which, if true, is a tribute to her professionalism. But. . . But something. I don't know, I'm making it sound like I don't like the song, when I do. But it still feels like something is missing.

Oh my god YES. You've nailed it. The organicness in her music is gone. The textured, layered, sublime quality is gone. There's no nuance, no shift. YOU GET IT.
chii is offline   Reply With Quote