View Single Post
Old 2010.02.11, 01:13 PM   #46
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
@kuro_neko: Would you listen to a pneumatic drill if the lyrics were good? Maybe you'd find it jarring in an interesting way. We get that you're not listening to a poor quality leak (laudable, especially if a band are interviewed as refining their groove, the final CD garage quality didn't help Kyoiku in that regard), but the tunes are not a patch on what is right to expect from an SR-related project. Most multilingual people I know don't go on about it like you do. You pick on one poster, but JR is the one person who posted what I felt on first listening to TJ, and has a much, much better taste in music than you. No offence and all.
I could really care less if you or justriingo or anyone dislikes the album, and if you want to dl a shitty leak and make judgements on that, thats fine. my comment was referencing the fact that justriingo thinks the album has no emotional range, especially considering the collective ages of the band members. my comment is referencing the fact that, well, that is an interesting accusation, considering at this point lyrics are not even speculated about yet, let alone translated for people who don't speak japanese. I'm not going to pretend that I listen to a Ringo song and it 100% unfolds for me, it takes effort to sit down with the lyrics to decipher them usually. that is why when you guys go on about this being your typical jpop shit its like, are you kidding me? I can 100 percent understand an Utada song or an Ayu song, without lyrics in front of me, from one listen. Not the same with Ringo. Ringo creates work with depth, but that is getting off the point. my point is how can you judge the emotional range of a work when you can't even tell what the singer is *singing about*. You can gauge emotion from the music and the way it makes you feel, but you could be singing satire, you could sound one way and sing another, which Ringo has done, she has happy songs that are really depressing and sad songs which aren't nearly as much so you'd think. point being, don't judge a book by its cover, and at this point, I consider the leak one large shitty quality cover for the album. it gives you insight and a first glimpse, but I don't expect to understand the album until I have my personal copy, the lyric book, and a good week of listening and letting it settle.

justriingo your comments are why you find the emotional range lacking are interesting. I can't really say what is going on with her in this album, but I do know that with SG and even with Variety, there is no way you could stick another singer in Ringo's place and have it work. The reason why older Ringo seems that way is because she was fresh and biting at the chomp to prove herself. She is a confident mature mother now and she doesn't need to wail and scream and roll her r's and try and separate her vocals from the rest of the industry's because she has come this far. You may not like that, but I like how well-rounded she has become. If you want to listen to songs like Tsumi to Batsu and hear the passion and naivety in the early demos, well, they are there waiting for you. Gauging the Japanese fans response, they couldn't disagree more, it seems like with each song they hear they are screaming things like "only tokyo jihen" etc etc. to each his own.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2010.02.11 at 01:26 PM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote