View Single Post
Old 2011.06.28, 08:25 PM   #48
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

Ok woke up at noon and listened to the whole album this time. I think it'll be a while before I give an accurate opinion. As an album, like sports, there are a few things that destroy the flow. The last 2 tracks being some of the weakest being the main thing. I feel like there was a clear concept for this album (not "discovery", I mean like sonically) and they threw a bunch of already existing tracks into it and it really disrupted things, similar to the way Senkou Shoujo killed the flow of Sports despite being a good song. Also, a song with a similar style to previous work does not bother me at all but there are a lot of songs with a similar melody, AND style to previous songs. The most obvious and offensive being 21 seiki (toumei ningen) and Kinjirareta (Sounan and a bit of blackout), which is a shame because neither are bad songs but I feel like both would be more enjoyable without knowledge of the songs they resemble.

The most impressive thing on this album to me is the first track, simply because I thought the vocal melody itself was lacking and now I realize it was the arrangement.

The reason I connect so much with this woman (and bands) music, despite it being mainstream pop, is because she/they/the producer are better than almost anyone at using arrangement to bring out the best in vocal melody. Prior to Variety it was well over 90% but from Variety onward, I think about half the songs are lacking this magic. But now with the Tengoku for the Tube and Tengoku for the Disc, I can easily explain what is wrong with nu-Ringo. "for the Disc" is everything that is/was right with Ringo/Jihen, "For the tube" is everything wrong with recent releases. I don't even think "for the tube" is bad. It stands alone as a good song by a pop/rock band, and so did most of Variety. It just lacks that magic arrangement that bring out the best in the melody and qualifies anyone as a "favorite artist" and an inspiration. At some points in "for the tube" I think it might have this magic (some spots toward the end) but as a whole it is lacking something. This magic is what keeps me coming back despite all other complaints. It's what inspired me to pick up a guitar only recently despite the feeling that mid 20's might be too late to start. The magic still exists although it isn't as overwhelming as it once was but it has the potential to come out and grab me with every release, at least for a few songs.

I am waiting for the Sora ga naitteru used in the commercial. I have high hopes for that arrangement as well.

I guess I can listen and believe, "unwilling but yielding", that this bands best stuff may not be behind them.

Last edited by lazer85 : 2011.06.28 at 08:31 PM.
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote