View Single Post
Old 2014.09.11, 09:40 PM   #27
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
I've probably been dismissive and reductive about your perception of SR's music, and I'm sorry for that (but I JCHI). Posters like you who are aware intricacies of SR's music helped me become a fan. Still, your op makes me reeks of the idea that SR is only as important as her agenda and cultural relevance (the next greatest thing) - and so I can't help being defensive. Many of her recent tracks and performances are a lot braver than the on-the-cuff-ly subversive 'Fuck off G-Men'
Brilliant artists are always relevant, IMO... I've been a fan of hers since 2005 - a lot has changed since then, but she's as enigmatic and skillful as ever. For me, her art is the end, not the means. Even though I'm very socially-conscious, I love her for her work, not for whatever social or cultural good comes from it. I do feel the need to orient myself in relation to her works, and admittedly, I have more difficulty understanding a professional female artist who is not a little outraged than someone who is. I feel like I understood her much better up until about Variety. I've loved most of what she's done even since then, but I'm trying to understand her a little more through posting this topic.