View Single Post
Old 2011.12.07, 04:56 PM   #414
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Jihad, I thought I heard you say once that you thought Adult was Jihen's 2nd Best Album?

Adult IS Amazing. One of the best things about it is not just the mixing of genres, but also emotions. Ringo's singing is aggressive and emotive and full of longing and desperation. It's one of her best-sung albums, at least. Songs like "Himitsu" "Kabuki" and "Kenka Joutou" are really aggressive, and Shiina's singing in "Superstar" "Yukiguni" "Tasogare Naki" and "Tegami" is really full of desperation and heartbreak. And "Yukiguni" she has the really awesome kayoukyoku wail going on.
The only bad track on Adult is Toumei Ningen, not because it's bad (it would be a good song on a pop album), but it doesn't fit Adult. It's way too poppy and upbeat. Even Blackout has a really cool sound to it.
It's jazzy and it rocks, it can be aggressive and sad (have you read the lyrics to these songs? Shiina was really genius as a lyricist for this project).
Seriously, Yukiguni alone. There is only one other Ringo song that made me have a physical emotional reaction to it on first listen. I cried at both Souretsu and Yukiguni when I first heard them.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote