Thread: Xenogears
View Single Post
Old 2008.04.20, 08:34 AM   #7
Cosmo!

Cosmo! is an asset to this community

I would have enjoyed Xenogears more if not for the ridiculous script/dialogue. Everyone in the game (even little kids at times) has this pretentious, overblown way of speaking (and they speak a lot, like, even-more-than-Glath a lot) that just isn't believable at all. Now I'll admit that the subject matter doesn't really allow for much in the way of humor or carefree attitudes, but DAYUM!

Not to mention the religious references which attempt to make the game "deep": sometimes a name is pulled out of this religious text or that religious text and slapped onto some unassuming dope for no apparent reason at all. The game would be just as deep without these hamfisted references. I liked the philosophical/psychological elements of the game, though.

I also liked whatever little I remember of the battle system (but not the gears battle system, which was pretty bad).

The music was fuckin' sweet, though. My Wikipedia skills tell me the composer is Yasunori Mitsuda, who also worked on Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, whose music also rocked me hardcore to the fibula and tibia.

Overall, I liked Xenogears. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but I get why so many others like it as much as they do.