View Single Post
Old 2014.12.30, 03:35 PM   #167
thespidereggs

thespidereggs is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Well, think of it this way.

Ima, like Shun, seems to have attempted to serve as the anchor point in the center of the album. They both are gentle jazzy songs that are quite beautiful. However, Ima comes up short because it's ruined by it's ridiculous production- it never hits quite the same as Shun. The live version from Toutakai has so much promise too. Oh well.

JL005 has those big romantic strings and similar song structure to me, minus the payoff in the form of that gorgeous piano solo. I mention Reimport because it has that electronic beat at the start, much like Seishun no Matataki- another song I've always compared to Shun, though that one is more blatantly obvious :-p
I can see what you mean, but I think those are kind of superficial parallels - if we're comparing "jazzy" songs, how many other songs can we compare? Structurally they are similar, but they sound completely different. Shun is a romantic ballad that leaves basically everything on the table from the first listen, even with dat piano solo. Ima is less straightforward, with a suspenseful atmosphere driven by the pizzicato and thumping bass. Its atmosphere reminds me of a smoky jazz lounge, like Okonomide. Production-wise though they're both overproduced.

I can see the Reimport comparison with JL005, but I disagree becuase JL005 has nuances.

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
The live version from Toutakai has so much promise too. Oh well.
Agreed - I like the album version but it could have been so much more. For starters, the accordion worked wonderfully in toutaikai. Sigh.
thespidereggs is offline   Reply With Quote