View Single Post
Old 2009.03.05, 01:51 PM   #1
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Default [J-Jazz] Indigo Jam Unit

Indigo Jam Unit has got to be one of my favourite Japanese Jazz bands in the scene. I think they used to be a 3 piece band (piano, double bass, drums) but recently added a 4th member for an additional layer of percussion. I'm not quite sure how to describe their sound. It's kinda dark, dramatic, melodious with circular bass lines and an almost hip-hop impulse to their rhythm. If you like the explosive SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS sound but can't stand the blaring saxophone and the trumpet, you might prefer Indigo Jam's brand of rhythmic nu-jazz.

Indigo Jam Unit - Pirates

Indigo Jam Unit - Time

Pirates and Time is taken off their newest (and best, imo) album - "PIRATES". I started listening to IJU sometime during their 2nd album and I must say their newest effort is a very refined effort at developing the IJU sound. I think the track Pirates is a nice summary of the traditional IJU sound, while Time shows off their new sound of classy jazz intertwined with Afro-cuban beats. Exemplary work. Even if you don't sample all the other albums, this one is a must listen.

Pirates. Grab it here.

Indigo Jam Unit & flexlife - Love love love

IJU also released a covers album in January 2009 which opens with "Love love love", originally by Donny Hathaway (so says youtube). This song is all soft and bluesy, a departure from their signature sound, but it shows that their musical range is not limited to hard hitting chords and heavy basslines.

Indigo Jam Unit - Adrenaline

Adrenaline is taken off their 3rd album.

They've released 4 albums so far:
demonstration
2x2
ReaLism
Pirates

And also the above-mentioned cover album.

If you're interested, more download links can be found here.

Enjoy!

Indigo Jam Unit Official Homepage