View Single Post
Old 2011.12.22, 08:36 AM   #13
BanFan

BanFan is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I think the progression is from her as a musician. Before I think the songs centered around her vocal performance where Strange Mercy was more centered around her instrumental performance.

I mean, its a little bit of a push, sure; just depends on what you're expecting to take home from an album.
Have you guys listened to the NPR recording of her show at the 9:30 Club in DC? The sound's kind of shitty (I don't mind, it mostly bothers me that I have to turn my stereo up so loud to hear clearly) but I still prefer it over the album. She's so charming during the little talking bits in between songs.

Favorite Albums

01. St. Vincent's Live at The 9:30 Club - I adore this for being less sterile than the album
02. Galileo Galilei's Parade - Great major debut; Yuuki's voice is so refreshing in the context of J-pop
03. Friendly Fires' Pala - I love catchy music and this is relentlessly catchy
04. Twin Sister's In Heaven - Couldn't put this down once the dramatic mid-section grew on me
05. Chara's Dark Candy - Shockingly good considering she's been in the industry 20 years
06. Tokyo Jihen's Dai-hakken - Couldn't put this down either after tweaking the track order
07. Lykke Li's Wounded Rhymes - Thought there were some duds but the standouts are insane
08. Sakanaction's DocumentaLy - Falters by the last quarter, but the first three are flawless
09. M83's Hurry Up, We're Dreaming - Basically "Midnight City" stretched into a lovely two-disc album
10. Cults' Cults - I don't even remember what's on this but "You Know What I Mean" is ridiculous

The latest Dodos album was okay, but I thought the last third of the album was so boring, which is never a good thing when your album only has nine songs.

Last edited by BanFan : 2011.12.22 at 08:55 AM.
BanFan is offline   Reply With Quote