View Single Post
Old 2012.02.23, 09:06 PM   #15
waranghira

waranghira has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I don't want this to be too abrasive, but I can't agree with you. Phase 1 version is better because:

- All the Phase 2 live versions are super sappy (mainly the intro)
- I hate how a relatively minor guitar line from the original became the main riff in the Phase 2 version
- Hirama guitar solo > Ukigumo solo
- Phase 1 version had better build up with two choppy choruses to tease before sending you home with the full thing.
Yep, can't agree with you, either. Mainly because:

- Piano intro sets the mood better (I'm talking live here) with more contrast to the latter part of the song
- The repetitive main riff is to the point and more pure showing you don't need a lot of talking to get it done. The repetition actually gives it charm like an anthem.
- I don't really see the beauty in Hirama's solo, find it boring and lacking drama (kinda ironic in theory when Ukigumo's solo is centered mainly on the main riff, but at least it shifts upward, and finally breaks out from the riff in the end and into the final chorus)
- Phase 2's chorus build up (and why it's better): Light chorus > Hard chorus > HARDER CHORUS (Insane tremolo strumming > Delicious angsty bends and higher bends ending with the Cm 1n1/2 bend). Again more contrast, dynamics, drama.

additional (above were the replies):
- I fell in love with Ukigumo's 2nd prechorus (hammer-pull-off then harmonics)

And the biggest point:
- I can't really imagine how anyone would prefer Hirama's coda (each round of progression are the same) over Ukigumo's when Ukigumo's harmonics + bend is so delicious, not to mention what an epic way to end the song. That's the word: EPIC.

Last edited by waranghira : 2012.02.23 at 09:12 PM.
waranghira is offline   Reply With Quote