View Single Post
Old 2011.07.06, 06:24 AM   #125
mr. Pillow
ectoplasm

mr. Pillow is an asset to this community

KZK > HF > SS > MM > Kyoiku > WtH > Adult > SG > UM > ZCS > Sports > Daihakken > Variety.

green tier = very good (7.5-7)
blue tier = good (6.9-6)
orange tier = average (5.9-5.5)

So I gave all the albums a detailed rating starting from the last week.

- I feel sorry for ZCS, if it wasn't for the third disc (which got a 5.0) it would have placed before Adult.

- Sports got a slightly better rating than Daihakken, just as predicted.

- Watashi to Houden does host some of her best songs ever - but it wouldn't place before any solo studio album (I didn't even count the three bonus tracks).

- Heisei Fuuzoku and Shouso Strip both got a 7.1 (with HF having a 7.14 and Shouso Strip a 7.13), but they're so different, I would never think of comparing them...

- Individual songs from Variety got better ratings than some songs on, just to name two, Sports or Daihakken. But songs 8, 9 and 13 inevitably compromised the whole album rating. These three are the only songs by TJ that I firmly dislike.

Also, keep in mind that my ratings are only based on how much I like the songs, and are not influenced by how much the albums are "generic", "uninspired", and so on - I used very one-sided criteria to "judge".

To be more specific, some could say it is unfair to place HF before SS, because HF has recycled ideas (Baishou Ecstasy arrangements, anyone?), and generally feels more like a compilation with two or three new songs, while SS is a more solid and "honest" release (from this point of view). The point is, HF collects some of SR best songs ever - in a different guise, of course - and at least four of them come from KZK. KZK scored the highest rating out of every album she's released, so it shouldn't be surprising if I say I like KZK's compositional vein more than SS'. Add to the mix that I have a serious thing for nu-Shiina and there you go...

Lastly: as you may notice, I hardly dislike the albums - sure, it's impossibile to like everything (f.e., in Kyoiku I gave Bokoku Joucho a 5.2, which is average/mediocre - I just never listen to it), but I have no particular complaints for SR nor TJ discography. I'm ok with Phase 2 Jihen, even though I'm hardly enthusiastic about their current releases - at least, not as much you would have seen me here if I were around three or four years ago.
mr. Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote