View Single Post
Old 2015.05.30, 11:18 PM   #58
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Man, this was a breath of fresh air. I almost hit point-of-no-return levels of jadedness after Saihate ga Mitai.

I watched the Tsugou no Ii Karada intro and started thinking, "what if this were someone's first exposure to Shiina?" Like, remove all baggage associated with her career, and just imagine it's some nobody J-pop singer parading on-stage in that birthday queen getup, the biggest and most genuine smile possible on her face, singing her vocal cords out while piano arpeggios and accordion chords duel feverishly in 6/8. My first thoughts would be "who is this, who does she think she is, how does she get away with it...and above all how does it all work so well?"

I dunno, it feels like I and fans years older than I are holding up metal rods praying for lightning to strike again, but it's the novel little gems like this that make Shiina worth following in 2015 (or 2014, since I'm a year late )

Stray thoughts:

- Sound mix is beautiful across the spectrum (and I'm fairly certain I have a much worse setup than grandma and Glath). But wow, that did no favors for these ADK mics. Way too much air in the mix on the first set. I've never heard Shiina's plosives like that before.
- Favorite version of My Foolish Heart. God, maybe the sexiest I've ever heard Shiina.
- I'm with Inseu on Yokushitsu, definitely in the bottom tier of Yokushitsu/La Salle de Bains. I think Expo 08 was the only way to make this song work with heavy strings.
- I like Netsuai Hakkakuchu better as a Nakata song. The original struck me as something I'd rather see Capsule doing than Shiina.
- I could watch Shiina and Midorin do nothing but pop smiles at each other for at least 15 minutes without getting bored.
- Man, Onna no Ko is actually a good song beneath all the bombast. Never would've guessed.
- This...doesn't feel like a Saito Neko show? I'm somewhere in the middle camp of liking BX and not liking the first Ringohan set, and this blows both out of the water. The instrumentation seems like it was planned on a song-by-song basis rather than the kitchen sink being thrown at random Shiina classics.
- Accordion is no substitute for flute on Mittei Monogatari, though.
- MM into Assassin's Assassin is more enjoyable here than in Expo 14.
- I'm finally sold on that Youko Maki song. Neither of the studio versions did it for me.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote